This was the scene on Tuesday morning, October 27, 2009 as we went to the hotel where Tori was staying. Tuesday was a beautiful day. A transcendently beautiful day. A day of joyful celebration, somber reflection, giggles, tears and a huge dose of relief. Watching the dream God placed in us so long ago finally become real was overwhelming and incredible. Thank you God for your faithfulness.
Our appointment to meet Tori was 11:00am. Frank, our guide, picked us up at our Hotel at 10:30 and drove us to the hotel where Tori was staying with a nanny from her welfare institute, along with the director of the institute and a driver.
We were on pins and needles as the elevator doors opened on her floor. We walked into her room and there she was. She was lying on her back sleeping in the hotel bed. She looked so small with her little head poking out from the covers. Christina walked over and stroked her arm and her face. She woke up and looked at Christina and Tessa and I. She looked confused, but curious. Tessa walked over and gave her a gentle big-sister hug. Christina picked her up and she started crying a bit, but that was to be expected. This little one has been through so much.
Frank and I went into the other hotel room to ask the Nanny and the Director some questions about Tori: What does she eat? How often? Is she used to baths? Where was she found? Does she take naps? What are her favorite toys/activities? What makes her happy? What scares her? Fritz was recording the whole conversation on camera so I wouldn't have to write it all down or remember everything.
After we finished asking the questions, Dee came in and told me I needed to come in and see something. I came back into Tori's room to see her sitting up feeding Christina and Tessa little crackers. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
We packed up Tori's toys that were brought from the Welfare Institute and said goodbye. We were actually leaving with our daughter! We went back to our hotel and had about an hour to settle before we headed over to the Chongqing Adoption Affairs Office for some paperwork and an official ceremony to declare that she is our daughter by adoption. They had us take an oath to care and provide for her and to never abandon here. They then presented us with a gift from the city.
It was a very special moment.
Our appointment to meet Tori was 11:00am. Frank, our guide, picked us up at our Hotel at 10:30 and drove us to the hotel where Tori was staying with a nanny from her welfare institute, along with the director of the institute and a driver.
We were on pins and needles as the elevator doors opened on her floor. We walked into her room and there she was. She was lying on her back sleeping in the hotel bed. She looked so small with her little head poking out from the covers. Christina walked over and stroked her arm and her face. She woke up and looked at Christina and Tessa and I. She looked confused, but curious. Tessa walked over and gave her a gentle big-sister hug. Christina picked her up and she started crying a bit, but that was to be expected. This little one has been through so much.
Frank and I went into the other hotel room to ask the Nanny and the Director some questions about Tori: What does she eat? How often? Is she used to baths? Where was she found? Does she take naps? What are her favorite toys/activities? What makes her happy? What scares her? Fritz was recording the whole conversation on camera so I wouldn't have to write it all down or remember everything.
After we finished asking the questions, Dee came in and told me I needed to come in and see something. I came back into Tori's room to see her sitting up feeding Christina and Tessa little crackers. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
We packed up Tori's toys that were brought from the Welfare Institute and said goodbye. We were actually leaving with our daughter! We went back to our hotel and had about an hour to settle before we headed over to the Chongqing Adoption Affairs Office for some paperwork and an official ceremony to declare that she is our daughter by adoption. They had us take an oath to care and provide for her and to never abandon here. They then presented us with a gift from the city.
It was a very special moment.



totally crying right now! i'm so in awe of our amazing God!!!!!! What a day of great celebration!
ReplyDeleteShe is gorgeous! Jake had to bring me a box of tissues as I read your blog:) I'm so happy for you guys. Hope you have a blessed and peaceful time off.
ReplyDeleteSee you guys soon,
Ang and Jake:)